What We Inspect?
Ambika home inspection performs inspection of readily accessible, visually observable, installed house systems and components under the standard and methodology recommended by Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspection (CAHPI).
- Structural components including the foundation and framing.
- Wall covering, flashing, and trim.
- Exterior doors.
- Attached and adjacent decks, balconies, stoops, steps, porches, and their associated railings.
- Eaves, soffits, and fascias where accessible from the ground level.
- Vegetation, grading, surface drainage, and retaining walls that are likely to adversely affect the building.
- Walkways, patios and driveways.
- Landscaping structure attached or adjacent to the building when likely to adversely affect the building.
- Garage and carport.
- Garage doors and garage door operators.
- Roofing materials.
- Roof drainage system.
- Skylights, Chimneys, and roof penetration.
- Service drop.
- Service entrance conductors, cables, raceways.
- Service grounding.
- Interior components of service panels and subpanels.
- Service equipment and main disconnects.
- Overcurrent protection devices.
- A representative number of installed lighting fixtures, switches, and receptacles.
- Ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) and arc fault circuit interrupters (AFCI).
- Interior water supply and distribution systems including fixtures and faucets.
- Drain, waste, and vent systems including fixtures.
- Water heating equipment and associated venting systems.
- Drainage sump, sump pump, and related piping.
- Fuel storage and distribution systems.
- Readily accessible components of Installed heating equipment.
- Vent systems, flues and chimneys.
- Fuel storage and distribution system.
- Permanently installed air conditioning equipment.
- Distribution system.
- Walls, ceilings, and floors.
- Steps, stairways, and railings.
- Representative number of countertops and installed cabinets.
- A representative number of doors and windows.
- Garage vehicle doors and garage vehicle door operators.
Insulation and Ventilation
- Insulation and vapour barrier/retarder in unfinished spaces.
- Ventilation of attics and foundation areas.
- Mechanical ventilation system.
- Kitchen, bathroom, laundry, and similar exhaust systems.
Fireplaces and fuel burning appliances
- System components.
- Chimneys and vent system.
Source: CAHPI (2012): 2012 National Standards of Practice